The French Paradox – Quality over Quantity
Did you ever hear of the French Paradox?
The idea is that the French eat some of the richest foods in the world (rich in fat that is), but the population is overall slim.
Just imagine! The cheese! Brie, Camembert, Roquefort, all rich in aromas and fats! Now pair these with warm crispy croissants and you have a killer combination or carbohydrates and fats. Despite all the laws of nutrition and common sense only 7% of the French adults are overweight.
But there is logic behind the French Paradox and a lesson for all of us! For the French, quantity doesn’t have much to do with it! It’s the WHAT and the HOW that’s important.
So what do the French do that’s so healthy?
- They eat many meals throughout the day. Most of their intake is in the morning and food portions become smaller and smaller as the day progresses. See the logic? Give the metabolism a boost in the morning and let it work during the day, until the last small meal is used for energy before the going to bed.
- Serving size also matters. The French don’t eat more than they can digest all at once. If you eat a small meal, your body might end up burning a little extra!
- They rarely have snacks between meals.
- French eat the good fats! They get their fat intake from dairy products. No trans fats!
- They eat fish about 3 times a week and fish is good in so many ways!
- Lower sugar intake might be the greatest contributor to the health of the French. They just don’t eat any added sugar! Yes, they have their cakes, but other than that, they don’t consume a lot of sweets.
- Quality! They avoid sodas, deep fried foods, snack foods and prepackaged meals.
- Nutrients are nutrients! They take all their vitamins and minerals from their diets. No additives, no chemicals, no preservatives to inhibit nutrient absorption.
- They don’t just avoid the bad stuff! They don’t sell it! If you take a look around a French Supermarket you won’t see so much junk food!
- Wine consumption is linked to the slim figures of the French.
- While the French eat a lot more fat then the American population, because of all the added sugars in processed foods, the French eat fewer calories!
See? It’s not much of a paradox after all! Eating well is common sense! Did you think the French were slim because of smoking?