8 Cures for Hangovers
No crazy drinks and weird folk stories this time… Let’s see how you can feel better faster after a night of heavy partying.
What causes a hangover?
We all know the answer to this one… Drinking too much! Well, this is not always the case. Impurities in the drinks can cause a hangover even if you drink just one. These impurities can be other alcohols, added chemicals to sweeten or enhance the flavor and fermentation by-products. This is way some drinks make the morning after worse than others!
What happens to your body is that ethanol increases urine production which leads to dehydration (which causes headaches, fatigue, and dry mouth). Your stomach is affected and you feel nauseous. And let’s not forget the toxic effects of ethanol which puts your body through hell until it can break it down.
How can I prevent it?
- 1. Don’t drink. Or…
- 2. Drink a lot of water. This may not prevent the hangover but it will surely lessen the symptoms.
What can I do to feel better?
Treating a hangover is all about rehydration, rest and replenishing your lost vitamins. Here’s what you can do:
- Drink lots of water! You’ll feel miserable until you rehydrate you body.
- Eat something simple! Eggs, milk, toast with something are simple food that will ease you stomach pains and provide some nutrients.
- Sleep. If you have the time to rest, sleep is a sure way to get your body back in shape.
- Dink some fruit juices or sport drinks. An orange juice will give you the vitamins you need to recover!
- Get some exercise! Raising your metabolism will speed up the healing process. This one has always worked for me. 10 minutes of cardio takes any headache away!
- Oxygen. Taking slow big breaths will have a similar effect to exercising. Increased oxygen levels also speed up the metabolism.
- Pickles. While pickle juice may be on my weird cures list, it is considered quite effective. I never tried this one, but lots of people swear by it.
- Read about what crazy remedies folk tradition has revealed and be thankful you don’t have to go through that!
Melon is amazing for me! Nothing can hydrate you better and faster than eating some sweet melon or watermelon.