Poisoned by Water
I think I have a rather serious intoxication due to foolish water consumption. And what’s worse, is that this is entirely my fault!
Now let me explain what happened.
One of the first things I bought when I moved to Vienna was a water filter. And I love it! Since I’ve been living here (close to a month) I’ve been using this thing to filter tap water for drinking. I’d pour the water in half a liter bottles and drank it throughout the day.
The half-liter bottles make it very convenient. I mean, I’d have two in the fridge. When I drank one I replaced it with a fresh one. I had one on my desk and one on my night stand. This is how I drank my two litters a day and I was incredibly happy.
I was content with my little system until a couple of days ago when I started feeling very sick. I got horrible pains in my stomach and I couldn’t eat a thing.
I know what you’re thinking… No, Vienna’s water is not to blame! And neither is the filter! I noticed that all though the water I was pouring into the bottles was fresh it tasted stale. Yes, the bottles were to blame.
You see, although I threw away any water I didn’t drink, the bottles remained wet on the inside. They’re impossible to wash because once you get any kind of detergent in, you’ll never get the bubbles out. But I figured that if I poured clean water in, there wouldn’t be a problem. Wrong!!!
A damp environment with little fresh air coming on (I always put the cap back on the bottle) is the perfect place for bacteria and fungus to thrive. And I drank every last drop of it. No wonder I feel so sick.
So I grew my bug in a bottle and now I’m fighting it with fever and green tea. What did I learn from this? Glasses were invented for a reason! And plastic bottles are for recycling, not for reusing!